BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition is the free antivirus that uses #1 ranked technology and is light on resources! It has been designed from ground up towards enabling you to do whatever you enjoy doing most with your computer, while staying 100% safe from e-threats.
This program is called “artificial intelligence” because it will always find the best solution for your system without requiring configuration and, more importantly, without having any impact on your system. Some of these technologies, also common with our main product line, have allowed Bitdefender to outpass major competitors such as AVG, Avast or Avira.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition will function automatically and take care of itself, so that you won’t have to check back or make phone maintenance each time a virus is detected.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition ensures the game at full speed! It knows when it’s time to quietly monitor in the background, but also when it can resume, once you hit “quit” in your MMORPG.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition works efficiently without requesting input from you. It is a truly intelligent product can take decisions by itself. You will have no checkboxes to tick and decisions to “ok”. No impact means not even a second of slanginess. Not on modern, nor on older PCs. With Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, scanning only takes place when your system is idle and known clean files are skipped.
BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition Features:
- Real-time Shield – The real time shield is designed to protect access to the entire system. This means that files are scanned as they are accessed or copied. For example, the files you just downloaded from the Internet are scanned immediately.
- Active Virus Control – Active Virus Control is an innovative proactive detection technology which uses advanced heuristic methods to detect new potential threats in real time and provides a layer of protection against new threats for which signatures have not yet been released. It monitors each program running on your PC, as it executes, and notes malware-like actions. If enough such actions are detected, the program which performed them is declared harmful.
- Intrusion Detection System – This technology represents the heuristic monitoring of the applications trying to access network services or the Internet. What it means is that the application running on the computer receives a score whenever they perform an action on the computer. The software is evaluated from a malware point of view and if it reaches a certain level, then it is topped as being a malware.
- B-Have – Bitdefender introduced a new technology, B-HAVE, to reduce dependency on virus signatures through proactive detection of unknown threats. This technology is based on behavioral analysis in a virtualized environment. B-HAVE checks for characteristics known to be associated with malware. A program may be deemed to be malicious if it attempts to modify certain files, read from or write to a sensitive area of the memory or create a file that is a product of a known virus. If no malicious actions are detected, B-HAVE starts the program normally; if a suspect conduct is present, B-HAVE automatically quarantines or deletes the application.
- HTTP Scanning – Analyzes and blocks websites that support various scams or credit card phishing attempts.
- Anti-rootkit – This technology is used to scan for hidden malware also known as rootkits. A rootkit is a stealthy type of software, often malicious, designed to hide the existence of certain processes or programs from normal methods of detection and enable continued privileged access to a computer.
- Periodic Updates – Bitdefender Antivirus Essential periodically updates itself without any user intervention, ensuring an optimal level of protection against new threats.
- Early Boot Scanning – This technology ensures that the system is being scanned at boot time as soon as all critical services are loaded. The scope of early boot is to improve virus detection at system startup, while improving boot time also.
- Empty Slots Scanning – The Empty Slots technology is used for detecting short time intervals when the system usage is low, in order to perform other actions, useful to the product and the user. System resource usage is calculated considering the CPU and HDD usage.
- Smart Scan – The files that have been scanned in the past will not be scanned again, using a smart skipping engine.
Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition is the first free antivirus product compatible with Windows 8 and 8.1.
Supported Systems: Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, Server 2008, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 (32-bit & 64-bit).
Size: 8.07 MB
Download BitDefender Antivirus Free Edition