Netscape Navigator 9 – Speed, Flexibility and More Security Choices Than Any Other Browser. Based on Firefox, the AOL Netscape Browser options and interface are similar, but brought to a superior level of accessibilty by filling some of the Firefox gaps, such as tabbed browsing, context menus and menu bars.
The new Netscape Browser test build runs on two different browsing engines: the Mozilla Foundation’s Gecko engine, which powers up the Mozilla, Firefox and older Netscape browsers, and Microsoft’s Internet Explorer engine. Since Navigator 9 is based on the newest Mozilla technologies, there are additional features in Navigator 9 that were not available in Netscape Browser 8.x.
Netscape Navigator is a browser-only release. It does not contain an e-mail client, newsgroup reader, or HTML composer.
Netscape Navigator Features:
- Visual Refresh. Netscape Navigator 9’s theme has been updated to save screen-space and leave more room for the websites you visit.
- URL Correction. Navigator 9 will automatically correct common typos in URLs. For example, if you accidentally type googlecom, Navigator will fix it be to google.com. The browser will watch for nearly 30 different types of common mistakes and correct them for you (asking you to confirm, if you choose to enable confirmation). No more .cmo, .ogr, or htp:// !
- News Menu and Sidebar. The latest news is built right into the browser, under the News menu. Provided by Netscape.com, you can customize the menu to only contain the news sections you want to monitor. You can also open the News sidebar to always keep an eye on what’s happening.
- Link Pad. The Link Pad is a new sidebar feature that allows you to save links/URLs that you want to visit later without cluttering your bookmarks. Just drag a link over the Link Pad status bar icon and drop it to save it in the Link Pad. By default, clicking on an item in the Link Pad will open it in the browser and remove it from the list, saving you the step of deleting it.
- News Tracker. The Netscape Tracker sidebar lets you monitor breaking news as it happens, via Netscape.com.
- In-browser voting. Share your opinions with the world! The icons in the Navigator address bar let you share interesting stories you find and vote on stories shared by others.
- Extension Compatibility. Navigator 9 shares an architecture with the latest Mozilla technologies; as such, Navigator 9 will let you install extensions that are compatible with Firefox ® 2.
Other More Features in Netscape Navigator 9:
- Sidebar Mini Browser. You’ve always been able to have bookmarks open in the sidebar, but we’ve improved this functionality and extended it to all links, not just bookmarks. Additionally, we’ve added a navigation toolbar to the sidebar for even easier split-screened browsing. Just right-click on a link and select “Open Link in Sidebar” to get started!
- Restart Netcape. A smalll but oft-requested feature: you can now restart Navigator (and keep your current tabs intact) by selecting “Restart Navigator” from the File menu.
- Resizeable Textarea. Drag the bottom-right corners of text fields in forms to add more typing space.
- Tab History. Opening a link in a new tab will give the new tab the same history as the source tab for a more seamless tabbed browsing experience.
- OPML Support. Netscape Navigator supports importing and exporting your bookmarks in OPML, a popular format for sharing lists of newsfeeds.
- Throbber. By popular demand, the Netscape 7-style throbber is back. Click on it any time to visit Netscape.com.
- Combined Stop/Reload button. To save space in your toolbar, we’ve combined the stop and reload buttons. Because you never need both at the same time, the toolbar will only show the relevant half of the pair.
- Friends’ Activity Sidebar. If you are a member at Netscape.com, you can keep tabs on what your friends find interesting. This sidebar lets you view your friends latest votes, comments, and story submissions.
- Sitemail Notification. This icon will sport an exclamation point when you have new Netscape.com sitemail messages waiting for you.
Homepage – http://browser.netscape.com
Size: 5.76 MB
Download Netscape Navigator for Windows
Download Netscape Navigator for Linux
Download Netscape Navigator for Mac