Intel Chipset Device Software (formerly Chipset Software Installation Utility) is often referred to as the chipset driver or chipset drivers. This is a common misconception. A driver is a program that allows a computer to communicate a piece of hardware.
The Intel Chipset Device Software, however, is not a driver, nor does it include drivers. It contains information files (INFs). An INF is a text file that provides the operating system with information about a piece of hardware on the system. In the case of the current Intel Chipset Device Software, that information is primarily the product name for the piece of hardware. This allows the operating system to show the correct name for that piece of hardware in Device Manager.
If a chipset is released well after an operating system, the INF allows the operating system to identify all the pieces of the chipset.
Intel and Microsoft work together to include information on both current and future chipsets in new operating systems so, in many cases, the operating system will recognize all the pieces of the chipset even without the INF. The best rule of thumb is that, unless you are installing an operating system, you don’t need to install the Intel Chipset Device Software.
If you do install the Intel Chipset Device Software after installing the operating system, and the installation program recognizes that some or all of the product names in Device Manager match the product names in the included INF files, it just won’t install those INF files.
The Intel Chipset Device Software contains support for the following:
- Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor
- 6th Generation Intel Core processor family
- Intel Core M processor family
- 5th Generation Intel Core processor family
- 4th Generation Intel Core processor family
- 3rd Generation Intel Core processor family
- 2nd Generation Intel Core processor family
- Intel 100 Series chipset
- Intel 9 series chipset
- Intel C230 series chipset family
- Intel C220 series chipset family
- Intel C210 series chipset family
Intel Chipset Device Software is validated on the following Microsoft operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Microsoft Windows 7 x64
- Microsoft Windows 2008 R2
- Microsoft Windows 2008 R2 x64
- Microsoft Windows 8
- Microsoft Windows 8 x64
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 x64
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Windows 8.1 x64
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
- Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
- Microsoft Windows 10
- Microsoft Windows 10 x64
The Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility contains support for the All Intel Chipsets.
Size: 3.26 MB