Tribler is an open-source peer-to-peer client with various features for watching videos online. The user interface is very basic and focused on ease of use, instead of including features.
This program is based on the BitTorrent protocol and uses an overlay network for content searching. Due to this overlay network, Tribler does not require an external website or indexing service to discover content.
The program was created by university researchers trying to improve peer-to-peer technology. The application enhances BitTorrent by removing the need for central elements such as the websites for finding content. The aim is to increase performance, reliability, and scalability.
The main features include video-only searching, experimental video streaming, and an integrated video player. The SwarmPlayer is a Python-based BitTorrent Internet TV viewer. It allows you to watch BitTorrent-hosted peer-to-peer digital media distribution of video on demand and plays live streaming media.
This program adds keyword search ability to the BitTorrent file download protocol using a gossip protocol. That is somewhat similar to the eXeem network which was shut down in 2005.
After a dozen downloads, this software can roughly estimate the download taste of the user and recommends content. This feature is based on collaborative filtering, also featured on websites such as Last.fm and Amazon.com.
Another feature is a limited form of social networking and the donation of upload capacity. This program includes the ability to mark specific users as online friends. Such friends allow increasing the download speed of files by using their upload capacity. Due to these features, this software differs from other popular BitTorrent clients such as Vuze and μTorrent.
Changes in Tribler 7.3.0:
- Added scalable Giga Channels
- Redesigned the channels in the GUI
- Partial migration of codebase to Python3
- Various Debug pane enhancements: added tunnel/DHT info, statistics
- Various fixes and improvements in the market, DHT and other communities
- Updated VLC 3.0.6 bindings
- Enabled PEX for anonymous sessions, increase min/max_circuits
- Pony, lz4, and wheel added in Debian build as pip dependency
- Added BEP33 DHT health check
- Fixed multiple instances of Tribler
- Added support for building snap package
- Various GUI fixes
- Add Trust Graph
- Updated REST documentation
- The added market as a separate module: AnyDex
- Various Unicode fixes
- Integrated FakeTriblerAPI module within Tribler to ease integration tests
- Improved GUI performance on search and sort
- The added bootstrap mechanism for trust generation
- Fixed several performance issues
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, 8, 10
- macOS Yosemite or newer
- Linux Ubuntu
Size: 109 MB