Tribler is an open source peer-to-peer client with various features for watching videos online. The user interface is very basic and focused on ease of use, instead of including features.
This program is based on the BitTorrent protocol and uses an overlay network for content searching. Due to this overlay network Tribler does not require an external website or indexing service to discover content.
The program was created by university researchers trying to improve peer-to-peer technology. The application enhances BitTorrent by removing the need for central elements such as the websites for finding content. The aim is to increase performance, reliability, and scalability.
The main features include: video-only searching, experimental video streaming, and an integrated video player. The SwarmPlayer which is a Python based BitTorrent Internet TV viewer. It allows you to watch BitTorrent-hosted peer-to-peer digital media distribution of video on demand and plays live streaming media.
This program adds keyword search ability to the BitTorrent file download protocol using a gossip protocol. That is somewhat similar to the eXeem network which was shut down in 2005.
After a dozen downloads this software can roughly estimate the download taste of the user and recommends content. This feature is based on collaborative filtering, also featured on websites such as Last.fm and Amazon.com.
Another feature is a limited form of social networking and donation of upload capacity. This program includes the ability to mark specific users as online friends. Such friends allows to increase the download speed of files by using their upload capacity. Due to these features this software differs from other popular BitTorrent clients such as Vuze and μTorrent.
Changes in Tribler 7.0.1:
- Added a disk space monitor and implemented a warning when the amount of free disk space is low.
- Fixed a GUI crash when torrent health information comes in
- Fixed a crash when building anonymous tunnels
- Fixed a GUI crash when receiving search results
- Fixed a GUI crash when clicking on home page items that are not fully loaded yet
- Fixed a crash when receiving torrent metainfo from the DHT
- Fixed a crash when removing RSS feeds from your channel
- Fixed a crash when entering invalid numbers for the maximum download/upload rates
- Fixed an issue in the GUI where the magnet link was not correctly decoded for homepage items
- Fixed a crash when loading recent picked locations for downloads
- Fixed a crash when a torrent with an invalid infohash is added
Size: 102 MB