Tribler is an open-source peer-to-peer client with various features for watching videos online. The user interface is very basic and focused on ease of use, instead of including features.
This program is based on the BitTorrent protocol and uses an overlay network for content searching. Due to this overlay network, Tribler does not require an external website or indexing service to discover content.
The program was created by university researchers trying to improve peer-to-peer technology. The application enhances BitTorrent by removing the need for central elements such as the websites for finding content. The aim is to increase performance, reliability, and scalability.
The main features include video-only searching, experimental video streaming, and an integrated video player. The SwarmPlayer is a Python-based BitTorrent Internet TV viewer. It allows you to watch BitTorrent-hosted peer-to-peer digital media distribution of video on demand and plays live streaming media.
This program adds keyword search ability to the BitTorrent file download protocol using a gossip protocol. That is somewhat similar to the eXeem network which was shut down in 2005.
After a dozen downloads, this software can roughly estimate the download taste of the user and recommends content. This feature is based on collaborative filtering, also featured on websites such as Last.fm and Amazon.com.
Another feature is a limited form of social networking and the donation of upload capacity. This program includes the ability to mark specific users as online friends. Such friends allow increasing the download speed of files by using their upload capacity. Due to these features, this software differs from other popular BitTorrent clients such as Vuze and μTorrent.
Changes in Tribler 7.4.0 Exp 3:
- Fixed create torrent with no personal channel
- Fixed dl not starting with add to channel checkbox
- Fixed encoding of encoding entry in torrent files
- Stopped gossiping empty personal channels
- Fixed extended peer info encoding
- Used LooseVersion to compare networkx version
- Added TrustGraph compatibility to networkx 2.4
- Fixed for getting libtorrent settings
- Fixed VideoServer for multifile torrents
- Fixed misleading VOD message
- Assets 13
Changes in Tribler 7.3.2:
- [Hotfix] Fixed service cache not checking for verified peers
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, 8, 10
- macOS Yosemite or newer
- Linux Ubuntu
Size: 58.2 MB
DOWNLOAD Tribler 7.3.2 Stable: