Puppy Linux is an evolutionary operating system for computers, based on GNU/Linux. It is completely free and open-source software. Puppy is a full-fledged operating system bundled with application suites covering a wide variety of tasks that can be used productively by general users.
However, because Puppy has a small size and can boot from many media. It is also useful as a rescue disk, a demonstration system, or for reviving old computers.
Puppy Linux enables you to save money while doing more work, even allowing you to do magic by recovering data from destroyed PCs or by removing malware from Windows.
Puppy Linux comes with a choice of 2 graphical servers: X.Org (full-featured) and Xvesa (lightweight). A wizard during the start-up process guides the user through setting up a graphical server appropriate for their video card and monitor.
How is Puppy Linux Different:
- Small size, ~300MB! This lends itself to some very useful and unique features.
- ‘Live’ booting from CDs, DVDs, USB flash drives, and other portable media.
- Runs from RAM, which makes it unusually fast even in old PCs and in netbooks with solid-state storage media.
- Very low minimum system requirements.
- Boot time is well under a minute, 30-40 seconds in most systems.
- Includes a wide range of applications: word processors, spreadsheets, internet browsers, games, image editors, and many utilities. Extra software in the form of dotpets.
- Puppy is easy to use and requires little technical knowledge. Most hardware is automatically detected.
Puppy Linux was first released in June 2003 by Barry Kauler The community, is completely organic, without any formal agenda or structure. It often takes newcomers a while to realize that there aren’t really any rules to Puppy, if you want to do something, make a new Puplet, offers your skills, or take things in a new direction. Puppy is covered by the LGPL license, an open-source license.
Puppy Linux is a Live CD Linux distribution that is very small and focuses on ease of use. If the computer has at least 64 MB of RAM (depending on the version, up to at least 256 MB of RAM), the entire operating system and all the applications will run from RAM. That allows removing the boot medium after the operating system starts.
Applications such as SeaMonkey, AbiWord, Gnumeric, and Gxine/xine are included. The distribution is actively developed by Warren Willson and other active members of the community. Puppy is an independent Linux distribution (i.e. not based on Debian, Fedora, SuSE, etc.).
- The puppy will easily install it on USB, Zip, hard drive, or other storage media.
- Extremely friendly for Linux newbies.
- The puppy will boot up and run extraordinarily fast.
- Booting from DVD (or CD), Puppy can save all work to the DVD (CD).
- Booting from a USB flash drive (or other flash media), Puppy will minimize writes to extend its life…
- The puppy will just work, no hassles.
- The puppy will breathe new life into old PCs.
- Here are all the applications that you need for daily use
- The puppy will load and run totally in RAM for diskless thin stations.
Puppy Linux 9.5 “Fossa” Release Notes:
The most significant recent changes in woof-CE include:
- Fully rewritten “init” script for the initrd.gz
- New facility to include special system A, Y, and F drive sfs (squash file system) files that take precedence over the main sfs.
- A new kernel update mechanism that provides even greater hardware compatibility.
- Puppy package manager redesign with improved ease and functionality.
- New user interface and UI configuration tools
- Additions, updates, and bugfixes in dozens of puppy-specific applications and tools
- Inclusion of base packages into the woof structure
- Kernel 5.4.53
- Modular build means you can swap out the kernel, applications & firmware in seconds
- Want a minimal bare-bones puppy? Easy just remove a single file and reboot.
- Joe’s Window Manager (JWM).
- Palemoon Browser.
- MPV, Deadbeef & Gogglesmm (good for large music collections) media players.
- Claws Email.
- Lots of in-house puppy-specific applications such as Pburn, PuppyPhone, Find’n’run, Take A Gif, Uextract, Packit, Dunst-config, Picom-gtk, Transtray, Janky Bluetooth, Change_kernels, JWMdesk, YASSM, Redshift, SimpleGTKradio.
Size: 409 MB