Inno Setup is a free installer for Windows programs. First launched in 1997, Inno Setup at the moment rivals and even surpasses many business installers in feature set and stability.
Features include a wizard interface and the creation of a single EXE for simple online distribution. It supports disk spanning, full uninstall capabilities, customizable setup types, and built-in file compression. Also includes support for installing shared files and OCX’s, and the creation of Start Menu icons, INI entries, and registry entries.
This program locations no arbitrary limits on what number of files, shortcuts, registry entries, etc. you could be included in an installation. However, keep in thoughts that Inno Setup does want memory for every entry in a script. For example, roughly 120 bytes of memory are wanted for every [Files] entry.
Inno Setup Key features:
- Extensive support for the installation of 64-bit applications on the 64-bit editions of Windows. The x64, ARM64, and Itanium architectures are all supported.
- Extensive support for each administrative and non-administrative installation.
- Supports the creation of a single EXE to install your program for simple online distribution. Also supports the Disk spanning.
- Standard Windows wizard interface.
- Customizable setup types, e.g. Full, Minimal, Custom.
- Complete uninstall capabilities.
- Installation of files: Includes built-in support for “deflate”, bzip2, and 7-Zip LZMA/LZMA2 file compression. The installer can check file version information, replace in-use files, use shared file counting, register DLL/OCXs and type libraries, and install fonts.
- Creation of shortcuts wherever, together with within the Start Menu and on the desktop.
- Creation of registry and .INI entries.
- Support for multilingual installs, together with right-to-left language support.
- Running different programs earlier than, throughout, or after installation.
- Support for passworded and encrypted installs.
- Support for digitally signed installs and uninstalls, together with dual signing (SHA1 & SHA256).
- Silent installs and uninstall.
- Unicode installs.
- Integrated preprocessor option for advanced compile-time customization.
- Integrated Pascal scripting engine option for advanced run-time install and uninstall customization.
- Full source code is available from GitHub.
- Tiny footprint: only about 1.3 MB overhead with all features included.
- All features are documented.
- Used by Microsoft Visual Studio Code and Embarcardero Delphi.
The Inno Setup QuickStart Pack includes Inno Setup itself and includes options to install third-party add-ons such because the ISTool script editor and Inno Setup Preprocessor. These add-ons usually are not official and usually are not required for common usage, however, make Inno Setup simpler to use.
Changes in Inno Setup 6.2.1:
- Changes to further help protect uninstallers against potential DLL preloading attacks when running under the SYSTEM account, contributed by Johannes Schindelin from the Git for Windows team.
- Fixed a cosmetic issue if the icon file specified by the [Setup] section directive SetupIconFile contains more than 13 icons. Thanks to Wilenty and Martin Prikryl for the initial investigation.
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10, 10 on ARM, 11
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019
Size: 4.49 MB