Inno Setup is a free installer for Windows programs. First introduced in 1997, Inno Setup today rivals and even surpasses many commercial installers in feature set and stability.
Features include a wizard interface, creation of a single EXE for easy online distribution. It supports disk spanning, full uninstall capabilities, customizable setup types, integrated file compression. Also includes support for installing shared files and OCX’s, and the creation of Start Menu icons, INI entries, and registry entries.
This program places no arbitrary limits on how many files, shortcuts, registry entries, etc. that you may include in an installation. However, keep in mind that Inno Setup does need memory for each entry in a script. For example, roughly 120 bytes of memory are needed for each [Files] entry.
Inno Setup Key features:
- Extensive support for the installation of 64-bit applications on the 64-bit editions of Windows. The x64, ARM64, and Itanium architectures are all supported.
- Extensive support for both administrative and non-administrative installations.
- Supports the creation of a single EXE to install your program for easy online distribution. Also supports the Disk spanning.
- Standard Windows wizard interface.
- Customizable setup types, e.g. Full, Minimal, Custom.
- Complete uninstall capabilities.
- Installation of files: Includes integrated support for “deflate”, bzip2, and 7-Zip LZMA/LZMA2 file compression. The installer has the ability to compare file version info, replace in-use files, use shared file counting, register DLL/OCX’s and type libraries, and install fonts.
- Creation of shortcuts anywhere, including in the Start Menu and on the desktop.
- Creation of registry and .INI entries.
- Support for multilingual installs, including right-to-left language support.
- Running other programs before, during, or after install.
- Support for passworded and encrypted installs.
- Support for digitally signed installs and uninstalls, including dual signing (SHA1 & SHA256).
- Silent installs and uninstall.
- Unicode installs.
- Integrated preprocessor option for advanced compile-time customization.
- Integrated Pascal scripting engine option for advanced run-time install and uninstall customization.
- Full source code is available from GitHub.
- Tiny footprint: only about 1.3 MB overhead with all features included.
- All features are fully documented.
- Used by Microsoft Visual Studio Code and Embarcardero Delphi.
The Inno Setup QuickStart Pack includes Inno Setup itself and additionally includes options to install third-party add-ons such as the ISTool script editor and Inno Setup Preprocessor. These add-ons are not official and are not required for general usage, but make Inno Setup easier to use.
Changes in Inno Setup 6.1.2:
- Compiler IDE change: Added new Print… (Ctrl+P) menu item to the File menu.
- Minor tweaks.
Support for every Windows release since 2006, including Windows 10, Windows 10 on ARM, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Vista. (No service packs are required.)
Size: 4.30 MB