Avidemux is a freeware, open-source video editor designed for multi-purpose video editing, converting, simple cutting, resizing, filtering and encoding tasks.
It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities.
Avidemux enables you to edit most video files by your requirements to make them play on any selected device. Multi-threading is supported! The graphical user interface of Avidemux looks pretty similar to VirtualDub.
The most features known from VirtualDub are available too and natively supports a great file types, such as AVI, MKV, MPEG, VOB, MP4, TS, ASF, OGM and FLV.
Avidemux can be used on almost all known operating systems and computer platforms. It is available for Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows under the GNU GPL license.
Avidemux cannot open raw MPEG streams. Instead, it can open indexed MPEG streams. The index is a text file containing navigation information. It is needed to allow frame accuracy.
As for MPEG streams, a NuppelVideo file has no internal index. Avidemux will rebuild it automatically upon loading (that could take some minutes).
Avidemux can also open a stream of uncompressed BMP files (RGB) or a set of JPEG files or a set of PNG files.
The latest version of Avidemux can usually decode the WMV/ASF containers, there are occasionally some files that still have problems with opening or playing. If you have that problem, then you can try to place the WMV contents into an AVI container.
Supported input formats: AVI, OpenDML, MPEG, ASF, NuppelVideo, H.263, MPEG-4, QuickTime, 3GP, MP4, OGM, Matroska, Flash Video.
Supported output formats: AVI, unp. VOP, AVI dual audio, MPEG video, MPEG PS A+V, MPEG TS A+V, OGM, MP4, Matroska, Flash Video.
The following formats support multi-audio output: *AVI, MP4, OGM.
Changes in Avidemux 2.7.1 :
- Encoder: Add LibVA based HW accelerated H.264 encoder (Intel/Linux)
- Decoder: Fix last frames of video not retrieved from decoder
- Decoder: Implement hardware accelerated decoding of H.264 on macOS
- Decoder: Fix keyframe-based navigation in field-encoded MPEG-2 video
- Demuxer: Fix crash in the Matroska demuxer with high bitrate audio
- Demuxer: Fix too short duration reported for MKV and MP4 with B-frames
- Demuxer: Fix PTS delay calculation in the Matroska demuxer
- Demuxer: Fix audio delay ignored by the Mp4 demuxer
- Muxer: Improve resilience of FFmpeg based muxers against decode timestamps irregularities
- Muxer: Allow to force display aspect ratio in the configuration of the MP4 muxer
- Muxer: Fix crash in the AVI muxer on switch to OpenDML
- Images: Add PNG export, fix wrong colors with some colorspaces
- Images: Add feature to export selection as JPEG images
- Editor: Fix AVI with H.264 / HEVC without B-frames being not seekable
- Editor: Make AVI with H.264 / HEVC containing B-frames seekable by decoding the entire video
- New Filter: Still Image: generate video of specified duration out of a single image
- Filter: Make eq2 video filter partializable
- Filter: Implement fade-in / fade-out transition for “Add logo”
- UI: Display selection duration in the UI, move filter preview toggle to the toolbar
- UI: Warn right away if an edit would result in cuts being not on keyframes
- UI: Improve time chooser dialog
- Audio: Add Opus encoder
- Audio: Allow LPCM in FFmpeg-based muxers
- Audio: Show duration for external audio tracks
- Miscellaneous: Improved overall polish and stability
Size: 21.9 MB