Avidemux is a freeware, open-source video editor designed for multi-purpose video editing, converting, simple cutting, resizing, filtering and encoding tasks.
It supports many file types, including AVI, MP4, Matroska, MPEG-2, H.264, and H.265. It does not yet, or only partially supports modern open formats, like Opus, WebM, VP8, VP9, and AV1. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue, and powerful scripting capabilities.
Avidemux enables you to edit most video files by your requirements to make them play on any selected device. Multi-threading is supported! The graphical user interface of Avidemux looks pretty similar to VirtualDub. The most features known from VirtualDub are available too and natively supports great file types, such as AVI, MKV, MPEG, VOB, MP4, TS, ASF, OGM, and FLV.
Avidemux cannot open raw MPEG streams. Instead, it can open indexed MPEG streams. The index is a text file containing navigation information. It is needed to allow frame accuracy.
As for MPEG streams, a NuppelVideo file has no internal index. Avidemux will rebuild it automatically upon loading (that could take some minutes).
Avidemux can also open a stream of uncompressed BMP files (RGB) or a set of JPEG files or a set of PNG files. The latest version of Avidemux can usually decode the WMV/ASF containers, there are occasionally some files that still have problems with opening or playing. If you have that problem, then you can try to place the WMV contents into an AVI container.
Multithreading has been implemented in the following areas of Avidemux (some partially through libavcodec):
- Earlier versions of Xvid are not compatible with this feature.
- H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10 AVC (using x264)
- H.265/HEVC (using x265)
- MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 (using libavcodec)
- MPEG-4 Part 2 SP/ASP (using libavcodec)
Changes in Avidemux 2.7.4:
- New Feature: Detect and warn when cut points in H.264 video streams may result in playback issues despite being on keyframes
- FFmpeg: Update to the 4.1.4 release
- Core: Fix MSVC++ builds do not run when the path to user directory contains non-ASCII characters
- Decoder: Fix DXVA2 HW accelerated decoding on Windows 7
- Decoder: Fix DXVA2 HW accelerated decoding stops sometimes on cuts* Decoder: Enable HW accelerated decoding of 8-bit HEVC for recent versions of Intel graphics driver on Windows
- Encoder: Fix regression with saved x264 and x265 profiles not found (MSVC++ only)
- Demuxer: Dynamically load VapourSynth Script library to avoid error messages on Windows if VapourSynth is not found
- Demuxer: Provide correct average audio bitrate in the Mp4 demuxer if the exact value for the particular codec is unknown
- Demuxer: Fix crash loading MP4 file with a number of audio tracks exceeding the max supported
- Demuxer: Support audio tracks in fragmented MP4 files (the variety with empty moov only)
- Demuxer: Support E-AC3 audio tracks in MP4 files
- Demuxer: Fix ASF demuxer still broken by chance with MSVC++ only, the fix relevant for all platforms
- Demuxer: Support more varieties of BMP images
- Muxer: Optimize output of the Mp4 muxer for streaming on Windows too
- Muxer: Add option to the Mp4 muxer to output fragmented MP4 files
- Muxer: Label HEVC video in Mp4 in a way compatible with QuickTime on macOS
- Filter: Fix assembly in Yadif deinterlacer with MSVC++
- UI: Enable automatic application scaling on Windows for recent Qt versions
- UI: Fix silent mode, automatically confirm dialogs instead of choosing the default option
- Audio: Support WMAPRO audio codec for decoding
- Audio: Support AAC with signal band replication (SBR) in external audio tracks
- Audio: Fix saving AAC audio tracks with SBR to a file
- Audio: Improve resilience to false positives when probing external audio files for AAC
- Miscellaneous: Fix crash with OpenGL or DXVA2 video output in 32 bits Avidemux on Windows (better late than never)
- Miscellaneous: Fix regressed handling of empty frames in MPEG-4 and FRAPS video streams
- Miscellaneous: Numerous other fixes and polish
Avidemux can be used on almost all known operating systems and computer platforms. It is available for Linux, BSD, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows under the GNU GPL license.
Size: 35.7 MB