MKVToolNix GUI is one of the best collection of tools (mkvmerge, mkvinfo, mkvextract, mkvpropedit, and mmg) for modifying MKV files.
The graphical user interface (GUI) of the software allows you to manipulate Matroska (MKV) files in several ways.
You can use those tools to create, split, edit, mux, demux, merge, extractor inspect Matroska files.
MKVToolnix will also work with other video formats. Such as AVI, MPEG, MP4, MPEG, Ogg/OGM, RealVideo, MPEG1/2, H264/AVC, Dirac, VC1.
And more as well as some video codecs such as VP9 video codec support – reading from IVF, Matroska, WebM files, extract to IVF files.
Moreover, the software can work with audio files such as AAC, FLAC, MP2, MP3, AC3, DTS/DTS-HD, Vorbis, RealAudio. And also work with most subtitle formats including SRT, PGS/ SUP, VobSub, ASS, and SSA.
It is a cross-platform application that will work on Microsoft Windows (both 32 and 64-bit versions), Apple macOS, and Linux operating systems.
Here is also the portable version which does not require installation. You just need to start the function. It can also be stored on external devices and run on any computer you have access to.
Changes in MKVToolnix 49.0.0 “Sick Of Losing Soulmates”
New features and enhancements
- mkvmerge: added support for copying the new track header elements `BlockAddIDName`, `BlockAddIDType`, `BlockAddIDValue` and `BlockAddIDExtraData` from Matroska files if they exist.
- mkvinfo: added support for the new track header elements `BlockAdditionMapping`, `BlockAddIDName`, BlockAddIDType`, `BlockAddIDValue` and `BlockAddIDExtraData`.
- MKVToolNix GUI: multiplexer: the list of recent directories can now be edited in the preferences → “Multiplexer” → “Destination filename”.
- MKVToolNix GUI: preferences: the values in the various “predefined values” lists can now be re-ordered freely by dragging & dropping.
- mkvmerge: Matroska reader: when reading tracks (e.g. a subtitle track) from Matroska files with their `default track` flag set to `yes`, and when overwriting those via the command line to `no`, `mkvmerge` would not promote additional tracks of the same type from other files (e.g. another subtitle track from an SRT file).
- mkvmerge: SRT reader: empty lines inside entries were doubled.
- mkvmerge: subtitles: when calculating the rounded duration of each entry the error from rounding the corresponding timestamp will be taken into account.
- mkvextract: SSA/ASS extraction: mkvextract is no longer inserting empty lines before the `Dialogue:` lines.
- mkvextract: USF subtitles: start & end timestamps were too high by a factor of 1.000.000.
- MKVToolNix: info tool: when saving to a text file the checkbox “Save as default for saving the output to text files” did nothing.
- MKVToolNix: info tool: when saving to a text file in “all elements in a tree-like structure” mode, the GUI always stopped at the first cluster regardless of the setting of the “verbosity” option.
- MKVToolNix GUI: preferences: when tooltips have disabled the dialogs for adding new entries to the various “predefined values” lists were missing their texts.
- Windows installer: the images are shown again.
- configure fixed detection of QtDBus.
Build system changes
- libMatroska v1.6.1 is now required. The bundled version has been updated to that version.
- The source code repository’s main development branch was renamed to `main`.
Size: 17.2 MB