AbiWord is a free word processing program just like Microsoft Word. It has numerous features helpful for your everyday work, private needs, or for just a few good old typing enjoyable. Suitable for typing papers, letters, reports, memos, etc.
AbiWord is ready to read and write all business-standard document types. Such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages, and lots more.
Give your document that professional, scientific, or fun-to-read look using advanced document layout options.
Use tables, bullets, lists, images, footnotes, endnotes, and kinds to boost the best way your document seems to be.
Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you wish to use – be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD, or Solaris.
With AbiWord’s Mail Merge capabilities, you may let AbiWord automate that job for you. Special fields inserted right into a template document can automatically get replaced with data coming from a wide range of sources, equivalent to Relational Databases, Comma Separated Text files, or Tabbed Text files.
To facilitate the use of AbiWord in a server environment, a robust command-line interface to AbiWord is available. This allows you to generate form letters, print documents, or convert documents to any file format AbiWord supports – all from the command line!
The primary program may be very small and requires only a few resources to run. Therefore you may use it on systems that aren’t thought about “State of the Art” anymore, which comes all too rapidly within the IT world.
The plugin system provides AbiWord all of the performance you would possibly count on from a modern Word Processor. Quite a lot of plugins can be utilized to increase AbiWord’s performance, starting from Document Importers to a Thesaurus, Image Importers, and a Text Summarizer.
The installer includes the following additional functionality (“plugins”)
- Grammar checking (only English support in the meanwhile)
- Support for coming into formulation and equations
- Wordperfect file import
- OpenDocument file import (the OpenOffice.org 2 format)
- Gnumeric charts support (experimental, only works with the latest GNOME)
Changes in AbiWord 3.0.4
- release.sh: carry out the release from ~/tmp and checksum and sign tarballs (Hubert Figuière)
- Update AppData for 3.0.4 (Hubert Figuière)
- Updated Russian translation (Olesya Gerasimenko)
- Fix an improper call to strncmp() (Hubert Figuière)
- Fix build failure in ut_jpeg.CPP (Hubert Figuiere)
- Added release date to AppData (Hubert Figuière)
AbiWord: System Requirements
This document describes the system requirements we consider needed so as for somebody to run AbiWord moderately on his/her computer. This is a rough guide, and it’s possible you’ll run simply wonderful on a lower-class system than what we describe, or run poorly on a higher-end system. As all the time, your mileage could fluctuate. With that mentioned, we hope for this to be helpful:
- Windows 2000.
- Windows 95, 98, and ME are not supported in 2.6. Use 2.4.6 as an alternative
GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris (2.6, 7,8,9,10), AIX, HP/UX (10.20, 11.0), OSF/1, Tru64:
- GTK+ 2.12 or newer
- At least 16MB RAM (embedded systems most likely won’t require more than 8)
- Any processor that supports any of those operating systems (which is efficient, any processor)
Mac OS X:
Note: at the moment the newest AbiWord version available for Mac OS X is 2.4.5
- Mac OS X 10.2 or later
Size: 10.6 MB