AbiWord is a free word processing program similar to Microsoft Word. It has lots of features useful for your daily work, personal needs, or for just some good old typing fun. Suitable for typing papers, letters, reports, memos, etc.
AbiWord is able to read and write all industry standard document types. Such as OpenOffice.org documents, Microsoft Word documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages and many more.
Give your document that professional, scientific or fun-to-read look using advanced document layout options.
Use tables, bullets, lists, images, footnotes, endnotes, and styles to enhance the way your document looks.
Enjoy your favorite Word Processor on the operating system you like to use – be it Windows, Linux, QNX, FreeBSD or Solaris.
With AbiWord’s Mail Merge capabilities, you can let AbiWord automate that job for you. Special fields inserted into a template document can automatically be replaced with data coming from a variety of sources, such as Relational Databases, Comma Separated Text files or Tabbed Text files.
To facilitate the use of AbiWord in a server environment, a powerful command-line interface to AbiWord is available. This allows you to generate form letters, print documents or convert documents to any file format AbiWord supports – all from the command line!
The main program is very small and requires very little resources to run. Therefore you can use it on systems that are not considered “State of the Art” anymore, which comes all too quickly in the IT world.
The plugin system gives AbiWord all the functionality you might expect from a modern Word Processor. A variety of plugins can be used to extend AbiWord’s functionality, ranging from Document Importers to a Thesaurus, Image Importers and a Text Summarizer.
The installer includes the following extra functionality (“plugins”)
- Grammar checking (only English supported at the moment)
- Support for entering formulas and equations
- Wordperfect file import
- OpenDocument file import (the OpenOffice.org 2 format)
- Gnumeric charts support (experimental, only works with recent GNOME)
Changes in AbiWord 3.0.4
- release.sh: perform the release from ~/tmp and checksum and sign tarballs (Hubert Figuière)
- Update AppData for 3.0.4 (Hubert Figuière)
- Updated Russian translation (Olesya Gerasimenko)
- Fix an improper call to strncmp() (Hubert Figuière)
- Fix build failure in ut_jpeg.CPP (Hubert Figuiere)
- Added release date to AppData (Hubert Figuière)
AbiWord: System Requirements
This document describes the system requirements we believe necessary in order for someone to run AbiWord reasonably on his/her computer. This is a rough guide, and you may run just fine on a lower-class system than what we describe, or run poorly on a higher-end system. As always, your mileage may vary. With that said, we hope for this to be useful:
- Windows 2000.
- Windows 95, 98 and ME are no longer supported in 2.6. Use 2.4.6 instead
GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris (2.6, 7,8,9,10), AIX, HP/UX (10.20, 11.0), OSF/1, Tru64:
- GTK+ 2.12 or newer
- At least 16MB RAM (embedded systems probably won’t require more than 8)
- Any processor that supports any of these operating systems (which is effective, any processor)
Mac OS X:
Note: currently the latest AbiWord version available for Mac OS X is 2.4.5
- Mac OS X 10.2 or later
Size: 10.6 MB