Paint.NET is free image editing and photo manipulation software for Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface. Supports layers, unlimited undo special effects and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
Paint.NET started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft.
Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.
Paint.NET can be used to enhance and clean up your photographs. Using the Clone Stamp tool, the power lines that crisscrossed in front of the Space Needle were carefully removed. Every feature and user interface element is immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance.
Paint.NET includes simple tools for drawing shapes, including an easy-to-use curve tool for drawing splines or Bezier curves. The Gradient tool has been cited as a huge improvement over similar tools provided by other software. The facilities for creating and working with selections is powerful, yet still simple enough to be picked up quickly. Other powerful tools include the Magic Wand for selecting regions of similar color and the Clone Stamp for copying or erasing portions of an image. There is also a simple text editor, a tool for zooming, and a Recolor tool.
Everybody makes mistakes, and everybody changes their minds. To accommodate this, every action you perform on an image is recorded in the History window and may be undone. Once you’ve undone an action, you can also redo it.
paint.NET has effects such as blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing. Also included is a unique 3D Rotate, Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting. Adjustments are also included. They help you tweak an image’s brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
Changes in paint.NET 4.2.8:
- Fixed: Pinch-to-zoom was not working when using a touch screen (regression in 4.2.6)
- Fixed: Spacebar panning was not working when using a pen/stylus (regression in 4.2.6)
- Fixed: EXIF metadata with non-ASCII characters is now preserved correctly
- Fixed a crash that can happen when the Microsoft Store version of the app is closed for an update
- Added /repair command-line argument, which will run PdnRepair.exe. This makes it easy to use Start -> Run -> paintdotnet:/repair so you don’t have to go fishing for the installation directory.
Size: 9.9 MB