Paint.NET is free image editing and photo manipulation software for Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface. Supports layers, unlimited undo special effects and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
Paint.NET started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft.
Originally intended as a free replacement for the MS Paint software, it has grown into a powerful yet simple tool for photo and image editing. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.
Paint.NET can be used to enhance and clean up your photographs. Using the Clone Stamp tool, the power lines that crisscrossed in front of the Space Needle were carefully removed. Every feature and user interface element is immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance.
Paint.NET includes simple tools for drawing shapes, including an easy-to-use curve tool for drawing splines or Bezier curves. The Gradient tool has been cited as a huge improvement over similar tools provided by other software. The facilities for creating and working with selections is powerful, yet still simple enough to be picked up quickly. Other powerful tools include the Magic Wand for selecting regions of similar color and the Clone Stamp for copying or erasing portions of an image. There is also a simple text editor, a tool for zooming, and a Recolor tool.
Everybody makes mistakes, and everybody changes their minds. To accommodate this, every action you perform on an image is recorded in the History window and may be undone. Once you’ve undone an action, you can also redo it.
paint.NET has effects such as blurring, sharpening, red-eye removal, distortion, noise, and embossing. Also included is a unique 3D Rotate, Zoom effect that makes it very easy to add perspective and tilting. Adjustments are also included. They help you tweak an image’s brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, curves, and levels. You can also convert an image to black and white, or sepia-toned.
Changes in paint.NET 4.2.13:
- New: Added 2-bit per pixel support when saving as PNG
- New: Added 1-bit per pixel support when saving as PNG, BMP, and TIFF
- Fixed low-bit-depth saving quality (8-bit, etc.), as it would sometimes produce very bad results (e.g. only using 64 colors instead of 256)
- Fixed: Resizing an image at very large sizes (e.g. 32K pixels to 64K pixels) would fail due to an arithmetic overflow
- Fixed: Sometimes recently saved images would not have an updated thumbnail in File Explorer unless/until its window was manually refreshed
- Fixed: Sometimes saving an image to a network share would not work
- Updated bundled DDSFileTypePlus plugin to version 220.127.116.11, which fixes an issue when loading and saving images using the sRGB color space.
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
Size: 9.78 MB