TinyWall Firewall is a free software to harden and control the advanced firewall built into modern Windows systems. Includes the features that set it apart from both commercial and freeware firewalls.
TinyWall Firewall gives Windows Firewall a sane and secure configuration and presents you with a simple interface where you can easily define what has network access and whatnot while preventing other programs from modifying or overwriting your firewall settings.
What this application does:
- It does not annoy you with popups at all, yet it is still extremely easy to add exceptions to your firewall rules.
- Actively blocks hundreds of trojans, viruses, and worms.
- It does not require you to know about ports, protocols, and application details.
- Prevents malicious programs from modifying the settings of the Windows Firewall.
- It does not install drivers or other kernel components, it is free and lightweight.
TinyWall Firewall Features:
- Multiple and easy ways to whitelist programs
- Automatic learning mode
- Firewall tampering protection
- Password lockdown of settings
- Quick modes, like Normal protection, Allow outgoing, Block all, Allow all and Learning mode
- Support for temporary/ timed firewall rules
- Port and domain blacklists
- Hosts file protection
- Option to always allow communication within LAN
- Option to restrict an application to the LAN
- Recognition of safe software and impostors
- Full IPv6 support
- The list established and blocked connections
- View open ports on your machine
- 100% free and clean software. No fees, no ads, no paid upgrades.
The no-popup approach
Most firewalls are based on the same interaction principles. Basically, whenever an application is trying to access the internet, display a popup asking the user what to do. This is not only annoying for the user but also less than secure. On an average computer, a lot of applications are trying to access the internet. Displaying a popup for each app makes it very probable that unneeded applications will gain access to the network, as it increases the likelihood of the user granting unnecessary rights to many applications.
This phenomenon could be characterized as “security fatigue”, and at its extreme, the user does not verify any more what he gives internet access, but just blindly allows all programs that ask for it.
TinyWall Firewall takes a different approach. It does not display popups that “urge users to allow”. In fact, it will not notify you of any blocked action at all. Instead of showing popups, TinyWall Firewall makes it easy to whitelist or unblock applications by different means. For example, you can just initiate whitelisting by a hotkey, then click on a window that you want to allow. Or, you can select an application from the list of running processes. Of course, the traditional way of selecting an executable also works.
This approach avoids popups but still keeps the firewall very easy to use. Most importantly, with the no-popup approach, the user will only notice that a program has been denied internet access when he can’t use it anymore. Consequently, users will only unblock applications that they actually need and none more, which is optimal from a security standpoint.
Changes in TinyWall Firewall 3.0.4:
- Make language changes take effect without a GUI restart
- Handle WMI errors gracefully in service
- Wait longer for service availability after loading desktop
- Avoid harmless exception being logged during system shutdown
- Prevent opening the Manage window when other windows are active
- Fix wrongly positioned GUI elements in Dutch and Russian localizations
- Fix potential race condition of UI timer during exit
- Fix traffic rate text ignores selected GUI language
- Updated Russian and Spanish localizations
The download includes a native interface for 14 spoken languages.
Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
Size: 1.36 MB