Acronis VSS Doctor is a free tool for diagnosing and repairing Volume Shadow Copy Service issues.
Volume Shadow Copy Service (aka VSS, Shadow Copy, or Volume Snapshot Service) is a built-in Windows technology that allows snapshots of PC files or volumes to be taken, even when they are in use. Most backup software programs rely on VSS to perform backup and recovery operations.
There are many reasons VSS might not work properly, causing your backup software to fail. But diagnosing the problem can be tricky given the number of system components involved.
Benefits of Acronis VSS Doctor:
Running VMware vCloud? Stop losing money when data or critical applications are unavailable. Ensure quick failover to the cloud, making your infrastructure resilient and cost-efficient.
- Diagnoses all VSS components with one click
- Generates a report with the results of the tests performed
- Automatically collects data from scattered sources into a single report
- Fixes issues with one-click when a pre-defined solution is available
- Easily spots the weak places in the VSS infrastructure
Acronis VSS Doctor Features:
Diagnose and repair
- Configuration and status of VSS-related services: Volume Shadow Copy, Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider, COM+ Event System
- VSS COM-interface registration (not supported for Windows XP)
- Configuration of VSS providers
- Access rights for VSS (not supported for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003)
- Configuration of VSS shadow storages (not supported for Windows XP)
- Access rights for NTFS volumes
- Free space available on disks. Provides drive letter assignment for “hidden” volumes
- Current I/O load of disks
- List of VSS-related errors/warnings from Windows Event Log
- List of faulted VSS writers
- Diagnostics results can be saved as a plain-text report for sharing or future analysis
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
- Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2019.
Size: 7.28 MB