UltraDefrag is an open source disk defragmenter for Windows operating systems. It is very fast because the defragmenting is done by a kernel-mode driver.
UltraDefrag makes use of the same defragmenting API used by many other windows defrag utilities, both open and closed source. However, UltraDefrag has many features that make it unique. Firstly it has a kernel mode driver that does most of the work, secondly is the ability to run the application at boot up time in a manner similar to chkdsk. This allows for faster defragmentation time and the ability to defragment all files including system files. It can also defrag a single file or multiple directories and can generate a list of all fragmented files.
The program is available for both 32bit and 64bit version of Windows running on both AMD and Intel-based processor. There are three interfaces available: Graphical, Console, and Native.
The UltraDefrag Micro Edition is a special package for advanced users who prefer extreme stability and power.
This UltraDefrag edition is a little bit faster, much stable (its driver contains just the most important parts). It has a console interface to speed up the defragmentation process. The boot-time feature is available too. The Micro Edition saves reports in plain text format.
- system files defragmentation (registry, pagefiles…)
- ultra fast NTFS analysis
- fast defragmentation algorithm
- the effective volume optimization algorithm
- safety, it can never damage processed files
- simplicity, it can be used without reading the documentation
- ability to defragment single file/directory from the context menu in Explorer
- ability to defragment additional streams attached to NTFS files
- ability to exclude any unimportant files based on flexible filters
- the ability to defragment files which have a number of fragments above a specified threshold
- ability to automatically break defragmentation when the specified time interval elapses
- well readable HTML reports
- the powerful command line interface
- ability to automatically hibernate/shutdown PC after a job
- small handy scheduler
- multilingual graphical interface
- portable version available which requires no installation
- native 64-bit support
- open source code licensed under GPL
- automatic defragmentation was implemented
- all the disk processing algorithms were highly optimized for speed and efficiency
- deep action option was added to GUI, the appropriate –deep command line switch was added to the console and boot time interfaces
- GUI was adjusted to consume fewer resources in a paused state
- GUI startup time was greatly reduced
- installation was simplified, now the installer decides itself which set of binaries is the most suitable for the target processor architecture
- portable edition now always includes binaries for all the supported processor architectures and chooses automatically those which are the most suitable for the target computer; just run the installer once and select ‘Extract portable edition’ to prepare all the necessary files
- the license was changed from GPL to a proprietary one
Supported Operating Systems: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (32-bit, 64-bit).
UltraDefrag can defragment both FAT and NTFS disks with just a couple of restrictions:
- It cannot defragment FAT directories, because their first clusters are immovable.
- It cannot defragment master file tables (MFT), because their first 16 clusters are immovable.
Size: 6.76 MB