Rufus is a small utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, reminiscent of USB keys/pen drives, memory sticks, etc. It is considerably quicker than comparable utilities and it’s open-source and free. All versions of Rufus allow the creation of a bootable USB from an ISO image.
Use Rufus especially for cases to:
- Create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, etc.).
- Work on a system that doesn’t have an OS installed.
- Run a low-level utility.
- Flash a BIOS or different firmware from DOS.
The Portable is a USB formatting utility that can also create a bootable USB drive using a bootable ISO image. This app requires admin rights. Despite its small size, Rufus provides every part you want!
Rufus is quick. For occasion, it’s about twice as quick as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer. Or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It can be marginally sooner on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs.
Rufus supports UEFI in addition to GPT for installation media, which means that it’ll allow you to install Windows 7, Windows 8, or Linux in full EFI mode.
However, Windows Vista or later is required for full UEFI/GPT support. Because of OS limitations, Windows XP restricts the creation of UEFI bootable drives to MBR mode.
Supported Languages: Arabic, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified), Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech. Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian. Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Persian. Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian (Latin). Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
Changes in version 3.17:
- Fix MBR not being properly cleared
- Fix command line hogger not being deleted on exit
- Improve ReFS handling for platforms that support it
- Update UEFI: NTFS to latest and remove Secure Boot notice since this version is Secure Boot signed
- Update Grub4DOS to the latest
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7 or later, 32 or 64 bit doesn’t matter.
Size: 1.32 MB