OBS Studio (Open Broadcaster Software) is a free, open-source software that allows users to record and stream live video content. It is commonly used for streaming video games, live events, and other video content on platforms such as Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook. The software is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems.
One of the key features of OBS Studio is its ability to capture multiple sources, including webcam footage, screen captures, and audio inputs. This allows users to create a professional-looking video production with multiple layers and elements. The software also includes a variety of built-in transitions and effects, making it easy to add dynamic elements to your video.
Another important feature of OBS Studio is its ability to stream to multiple platforms at once. This allows users to reach a wider audience by broadcasting their content to multiple platforms simultaneously. The software also includes a variety of tools for optimizing your stream, including bitrate and resolution controls, and the ability to set custom stream keys.
The software is also known for its flexibility and customization options. Users can create custom scenes, which allow them to control the layout of the video and add elements such as text overlays, webcam footage, and more. Additionally, the software includes a variety of plugins and scripts that can be used to add new functionality and features to the software.
In conclusion, OBS Studio is a powerful and versatile software that is perfect for anyone looking to record and stream live video content. It offers a variety of features and tools that make it easy to create professional-looking videos and stream them to multiple platforms. With its open-source nature, it is also continuously being updated and improved by the community, making it an excellent option for anyone looking to start streaming.
OBS Studio Features:
- High-performance real-time video/audio capturing and mixing. Create scenes made up of multiple sources including window captures, images, text, browser windows, webcams, capture cards, and more.
- Set up an unlimited number of scenes you can switch between seamlessly via custom transitions.
- Intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters such as noise gate, noise suppression, and gain. Take full control with VST plugin support.
- Powerful and easy-to-use configuration options. Add new Sources, duplicate existing ones, and adjust their properties effortlessly.
- The streamlined Settings panel gives you access to a wide array of configuration options to tweak every aspect of your broadcast or recording.
- Modular ‘Dock’ UI allows you to rearrange the layout exactly as you like. You can even pop out each Dock to its window.
Create Professional Productions
- Choose from several different and customizable transitions for when you switch between your scenes or add your stinger video files.
- Set hotkeys for nearly every sort of action, such as switching between scenes, starting/stopping streams or recordings, muting audio sources, pushing to talk, and more.
- Studio Mode lets you preview your scenes and sources before pushing them live. Adjust your scenes and sources or create new ones and ensure they’re perfect before your viewers ever see them.
- Get a high-level view of your production using the Multiview. Monitor 8 different scenes and easily cue or transition to any of them with merely a single or double click.
OBS software is distributed under the GPLv2 license, developed by volunteer contributors around the world in their free time. The license summarizes that OBS is free for anyone to use, for any reason. OBS has no watermarks or other limitations and can be used commercially with no restrictions.
Changes in OBS Studio 30.0:
- Added WHIP/WebRTC output [Sean-Der / kc5nra / DDRBoxman / tt2468]
- With the introduction of WHIP, FTL is slated for removal in a release after May 2024
- Redesigned the status bar [cg2121 / GeorgesStavracas / Warchamp7]
- The redesigned status bar now provides the same information in a more organized and well-structured way, with more representative and recognizable icons.
- Added option for Full-Height docks to the “Docks” menu [ujifgc]
- When enabled, a dock such as chat can take up the entire height of the OBS window
- Added support for Intel QSV H264, HEVC, AV1 on Linux [kkartaltepe]
- Added a shader cache to improve OBS startup time on Windows [notr1ch]
- Added application audio capture on macOS [jcm93]
- Added a “Safe Mode” that runs OBS without third-party plugins, scripting, and WebSockets [derrod]
- When OBS detects that it was not shut down properly it will offer the user the option to launch in Safe Mode for troubleshooting purposes. It can also be manually activated via the “Help” menu.
- Reworked the virtual camera on macOS to work with all applications (on macOS 13 and newer) [gxalpha/PatTheMav]
- Added a YouTube Live Control Room Panel when streaming to YouTube [yuriy-chunak]
- Added 10-bit capture support for Decklink devices [jpark37]
- Added HDR playback support for Decklink output [jpark37]
- Added an option to hide OBS windows from macOS Screen Capture’s “Display Capture” [PatTheMav]
- Changed audio/video encoder dropdowns to be sorted by name [gxalpha]
- Changed the list of applications in the macOS Screen Capture source to be sorted by name [Colerar]
- Updated NVIDIA Audio/Video Effects SDK versions [pkviet]
- Added more accurate logging for Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling status and support [derrod]
- Added the ability to arrange filters via drag & drop [cg2121]
- Clarified surround sound warning for YouTube 5.1 audio support [pkv]
- Added warning if Lenovo Vantage is installed [notr1ch]
- Added logging for scene changes in Studio Mode [Penwy]
- Changed Video Capture Device sources on Windows to not show an audio device in the Audio Mixer if none is available/selected [Exeldro]
- Added support for grayscale MJPEG in V4L / DirectShow sources [Staacks]
- Improved settings interface of the “Text (FreeType 2)” source [gxalpha]
- Added button to reactivate stopped capture in macOS Screen Capture [gxalpha]
- Changed scene collection removal to retain a backup file (.bak) that can be easily reimported if needed [derrod]
- Added IPv6 support for RTMP streaming output with IPv4 fallback (“happy eyeballs”) for dual-stack streaming services. The preferred protocol can still be selected in advanced settings. [jgh-twitch]
- Fixed virtual camera output when used with additional output channels (e.g., Downstream Keyer plugin) [tytan652]
- Added ability to set FFmpeg Options for VAAPI [nowrep]
- Added a Help menu item to view the Release Notes [WizardCM]
- Added logging for “Ignore streaming service setting recommendations” [derrod]
- Added logging for Video Capture Devices on macOS for portrait and studio light effects [gxalpha]
- Added more logging for Video Capture Device names on Windows [norihiro]
- Added more logging for QSV [RytoEX]
- Added logging for WASAPI source names on Windows [prgmitchell]
- Increased minimum output resolution to 32×32 to prevent certain encoder failure scenarios [RytoEX]
- Reenabled dynamic bitrate for AMF encoders [derrod]
- Enabled “Paste Filters” after copying from scenes or mixer [gxalpha]
- Removed D3D9 code from QSV encoder plugin [RytoEX]
- Changed QSV plugin settings new to Beta 1 to use translatable strings [RytoEX]
- Exposed shader creation errors [exeldro]
- Changed v4l2 sources to always use linear alpha blending [SludgePhD]
- Fixed a crash when using Touch Portal to control OBS [notr1ch]
- Fixed a crash when selecting a window in PipeWire capture if one is already selected [GeorgesStavracas]
- Fixed a crash on OBS shutdown on macOS [norihiro]
- Fixed a crash with the auto-config wizard [norihiro]
- Fixed a crash when trying to capture screen via PipeWire [columbarius]
- Fixed a crash when rapidly changing scenes [PatTheMav]
- Fixed a crash when quickly switching between NVIDIA Audio Filters [pkviet]
- Fixed a crash when starting and stopping multiple DeckLink outputs [jpark37]
- Fixed a crash caused by plugins deleting properties [ujifgc]
- Fixed an issue that could cause hardware encoders not to show up as options on capable GPUs [notr1ch]
- Fixed possible security certificate verification failure when trying to stream with RTMPS on macOS [PatTheMav]
- Fixed checking for updates not working on Windows if the username contains special characters [derrod]
- Affected users will have to manually update to OBS 30.0
- Removed legacy AMD encoder plugin [derrod]
- Users upgrading from an older OBS version will continue to be able to use the old plugin
- Fixed max bitrate not working in NVENC VBR mode [flaeri]
- Fixed async sources (e.g. video capture devices) sometimes unnecessarily dropping frames while buffering is enabled [derrod]
- Fixed order of IP binding/family setting [tytan652]
- Fixed some issues with hotkeys with groups and duplicate sceneitems [derrod]
- Fixed warnings being cut off in the UI in Simple Output Mode [gxalpha]
- Fixed the installed version number visible in Windows Settings not being updated when using the auto-updater [derrod]
- Fixed window capture showing the last frame of a closed window on Windows [Walker-WSH]
- Fixed alignment helpers rendering below safe area indicators [cg2121]
- Fixed some edge cases where certain undo/redo actions could behave in unexpected ways [derrod]
- Fixed media source restarting playback when not necessary [CodeYan01]
- Fixed frontend_save_callback in Python scripts [Penwy]
- Fixed “flip” not working with “stretch to bounds” [Penwy]
- Fixed OBS stealing focus when launching minimized [BenJuan26]
- Fixed lossless recording not working if fragmented MP4/MOV was selected [gxalpha]
- Fixed rendezvous mode with SRT [pkv]
- Fixed browser source events not being sent to all frames [Exeldro]
- Improved FFmpeg VAAPI AMD encoder video quality [nowrep]
- Fixed virtual camera not deactivating correctly in some cases [Lain-B]
- Fixed lag with VLC media source, particularly on macOS [usakhelo]
- Fixed “Show more” in service settings selecting the first service in the list [gxalpha]
- Fixed incorrectly positioned labels in a scenes-only multiview projector [norihiro]
- Fixed detected framerate of videos encoded with Custom Output (FFmpeg) [jack-karamanian]
- Fixed a bug where the “Show fullscreen and hidden windows/applications” option in macOS Screen Capture did not apply immediately [niw]
- Fixed a bug where the Auto-Configuration Wizard didn’t save YouTube stream key [Lain-B]
- Fixed a bug where the OK button was enabled in the Add Source dialog if “Add Existing” was selected but no existing source was selected [gxalpha]
- Fixed a bug where using VoiceOver to toggle the “Use Different Colors” GroupBox in the Accessibility settings, the Apply button would not activate [gxalpha]
- Fixed a bug where the Auto-Configuration Wizard would show the current frame rate in scientific notation if FPS was 100 or greater [gxalpha]
- Fixed an issue where importing a Streamlabs Desktop scene collection would result in OBS performing seemingly random scene changes and scene item visibility changes [prgmitchell]
- Fixed not being able to select a stream audio encoder if the previous selection was invalidated [derrod]
- Fixed source transform shortcuts in context (flip, rotate, etc.) when multiple scene items are selected [gxalpha]
- Fixed source type version when dropping files onto the OBS UI [norihiro]
- Fixed alignment of vertical audio mixer controls [cg2121]
- Fixed a bug where HDR video could incorrectly produce black pixels when tonemapping [jpark37]
- Fixed v4l2 source not working correctly with certain non-standard input frame rates [kkartaltepe]
- Fixed hotkeys of different scene items for the same source not being saved correctly [derrod]
- Fixed hotkeys being lost when moving a source in or out of a group [derrod]
- Fixed a possible issue with logging high frame rate video capture devices on Linux [kkartaltepe]
- Fixed a bug causing AMF AV1 to have low quality in Simple Output Mode [Penwy]
- Fixed a race condition in the Vulkan graphics hook [sawillms]
- Fixed an issue with Sparkle delta updates [PatTheMav]
- Fixed some unexpected behavior when transforming sources in groups [Zulleyy3]
- Fixed Stream Key label not displaying in UI [TianQiBuTian]
- Fixed the “Use Stream Key” button not hiding from UI when appropriate [TianQiBuTian]
Supported Operating Systems:
- Windows 10 and 11.
- macOS 10.15
- Ubuntu 20.04 and newer
Size: 129 MB