Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) presents award-winning safety in opposition to Internet intruders together with viruses, trojans, worms, and spyware.
MSE is built for people and small companies, nevertheless, it’s primarily based on the identical know-how that Microsoft makes use of to guard large companies (safety products like Microsoft Forefront, the Malicious Software Removal Tool, and Windows Defender).
Microsoft has an entire crew watching for brand new threats and developing methods to squash them. Microsoft Security Essentials is environment-friendly and compact.
Scans and updates are scheduled to run when the PC is idle and the software program works in a manner that your PC continues to be snappy while you’re utilizing it.
All this makes Microsoft Security Essentials friendly for all kinds of computer systems – your outdated PC, your new PC, your laptop computer, in addition to your little netbook.
Microsoft Security Essentials makes use of green, yellow, and red color codes to designate the security standing of your PC and a color-coded icon within the taskbar tells you at a look in case your consideration is required. It’s easy – while you’re green, you’re good. However, if there’s a red or yellow threat, MSE will provide you with a warning and recommend what to do (you possibly can act straight from the notification area without having to enter the application).
Downloading and installing Microsoft Security Essentials is free (Your PC should run genuine Windows to install MSE) and simple. Once you may have put in it, the software program updates automatically as soon as a day. We’re always monitoring new threats and we maintain your PC up to date to help defend you. You don’t need to do anything.
Microsoft Security Essentials has received nice recognition for safety: the VB100 award from Virus Bulletin Ltd., Checkmark Certification from West Coast Labs, and certification from the ICSA Labs.
Real-time protection means addressing potential threats earlier than they change into issues. Alerts notify you when spyware, viruses, or one other malicious software program tries and run or set up in your PC, and suspicious files and applications are prevented from opening.
Microsoft Security Essentials presents full system scanning capabilities with each scheduled and on-demand scanning choice to supply an additional stage of confidence. Scheduled scans are turned on by default and configured to run weekly at 2 a.m. when the system is probably going idle.
Microsoft Security Essentials has three scanning options:
- Quick scan. By default, a fast scan quickly checks the areas malware is more than likely to infect, together with applications working in memory, system files, and the registry.
- Full scan. A full scan checks all files on the PC, the registry, and all presently working applications.
- Custom scan. A customized scan lets you scan only the areas you choose.
You can select while you need a scheduled scan to run, view the scan outcomes earlier than cleansing, or run a scan on demand. If the PC is not turned on when the scan is scheduled to run, Microsoft Security Essentials will begin the scan on the first alternative as soon as the PC is awake and idle.
When Microsoft Security Essentials determines an attainable risk in your PC, alerts notify you of the risk. Threats are categorized as Severe, High, Medium, or Low, and you’ll select whether or not to disregard, quarantine, or take away the item from the system.
- Quarantine. Microsoft Security Essentials blocks much less extreme threats and strikes them to a quarantined queue the place you possibly can elect to revive or completely delete them. By putting an item in quarantine, you possibly can take a look at the impact of the item’s removal earlier than deleting it from the system.
- Remove. This action completely deletes the item from the system.
- Allow. This action stops Microsoft Security Essentials from detecting the item in future scans by including it in the Allowed Items listing. You can take away items from the Allowed Items listing at any time.
Windows Firewall integration
Having an energetic firewall is a part of securing your PC. During setup, Microsoft Security Essentials scans the PC to find out if a firewall is active on the PC. If no firewall safety is current, you may be given the choice to activate Windows Firewall.
Dynamic signature service
It is a technique to examine whether or not a suspicious program is dangerous or not. Before a suspicious program runs, Microsoft Security Essentials pretends to run it to find out what it’s going to do. This provides applications with particular signatures which are checked in opposition to our database of excellent and dangerous applications. Programs are watched even after they’re authorized to ensure they don’t do something doubtlessly dangerous like make surprising network connections, modify core elements of the working system, or download malicious content material.
Rootkits are significantly tough sorts of malware to guard in opposition to, and Microsoft Security Essentials contains quite a few new and improved applied sciences to handle rootkits and different aggressive threats.
- The kernel is on the coronary heart of your PC’s working system. Microsoft Security Essentials screens it to see if there are any assaults or dangerous modifications.
- Rootkits use stealthy strategies to cover and Microsoft Security Essentials has the newest anti-stealth know-how to uncover them.
Microsoft Security Essentials is available as standalone 32-bit and 64-bit downloads for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.
Size: 11.7 MB