GIMP Photo Editor supplies the tools wanted for high-quality picture manipulation. It is a freely distributed piece of software program for such duties as picture retouching, picture composition, and picture authoring. From retouching to restoring to inventive composites, the one restriction is your creativeness.
GIMP Photo Editor offers artists the ability and suppleness to rework photos into really distinctive creations. It is also a high-quality software for producing icons, graphical design parts, and artwork for consumer interface parts and mockups. GIMP Photo Editor supplies top-notch coloration administration options to make sure high-fidelity coloration replicas throughout digital and printed media.
It is finest utilized in workflows involving different free software programs reminiscent of Scribus, Inkscape, and SwatchBooker.
GIMP Photo Editor is a high-quality framework for scripted picture manipulation. This software supplies extensibility by way of integration with many programming languages together with Scheme, Python, Perl, and more. The result’s an excessive degree of customization as demonstrated by numerous scripts and plug-ins created by the neighborhood.
Each job requires a unique atmosphere and GIMP Photo Editor lets you customize the view and conduct how you prefer it. Starting from the widget theme, permitting you to vary colors, widget spacings, and icon sizes to customized toolsets within the toolbox. The interface is modulized into so-called docks, permitting you to stack them into tabs or hold them open in their very own window. Pressing the tab key will toggle them hidden. GIMP Photo Editor options an important fullscreen mode permitting you to not solely preview your artwork but additionally do modifying work while utilizing most of your display screen property.
Numerous digital picture imperfections may be simply compensated for utilizing GIMP Photo Editor. Fix perspective distortion attributable to lens tilt merely selecting the corrective mode within the remodel tools. Eliminate lens’ barrel distortion and vignetting with a strong filter however an easy interface. The included channel mixer offers you the pliability and energy to get your B/W pictures to face out how you want.
GIMP Photo Editor is good for superior picture retouching strategies. Get rid of unneeded particulars utilizing the clone tool, or touch up minor particulars simply with the brand new therapeutic tool. With the angle clone tool, it’s not troublesome to clone objects with perspective in thoughts simply as with the orthogonal clone.
GIMP Photo Editor consists of very distinctive support for varied entry devices out of the field. Pressure and tilt delicate tablets, but additionally a variety of USB or MIDI controllers. You can bind often-used actions to device occasions reminiscent of rotating a USB wheel or shifting a MIDI controller’s slider. Change the dimensions, angle, or opacity of a brush whilst you paint, and bind your favorite scripts to buttons. Speed up your workflow!
Supported File Formats
The file format support ranges from the frequent likes of JPEG (JFIF), GIF, PNG, and TIFF to particular use formats such because of the multi-resolution and multi-color-depth Windows icon files. The structure permits extending GIMP’s format capabilities with a plug-in. You can discover some uncommon format support within the GIMP Photo Editor plugin registry.
Thanks to the clear digital file system, it’s the potential to load and save files from distant areas utilizing protocols reminiscent of FTP, HTTP, and even SMB (MS Windows shares) and SFTP/SSH. To save disk area, any format may be saved with an archive extension reminiscent of ZIP, GZ, or BZ2, and GIMP Photo Editor will transparently compress the file without you needing to do any additional steps.
GIMP Photo Editor is the Free and Open Source, cross-platform picture editor accessible for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows, and more.
GIMP Photo Editor 2.10.30 highlights include:
Improved file formats support
Several file format supports were updated with fixes or improvements: AVIF, HEIF, PSD, DDS, RGBE, and PBM.
Let’s highlight in particular:
- PSD support received various types of improvements allowing it to load more sub-cases of PSD: layer masks tagged with invalid dimensions, CMYK without alpha, CMYK without layers, merged image of a 16-bit per channel RGBA which had an opaque alpha channel, etc. In the case of CMYK PSD files, for now, GIMP will convert to sRGB to allow viewing the contents of a file rather than display a message that the file is not supported.
- AVIF export now favors the AOM encoder.
Some backends got reworked to follow OS evolutions:
- Backport of selection outline drawing reimplementation from GIMP 2.99.8 for macOS Big Sur and over (already discussed patch, itself exceptionally backported to the 2.10.28 DMG package so that macOS users enjoyed visible selections earlier).
- On Windows, we moved from GetICMProfile() to the WcsGetDefaultColorProfile() API because the former is broken in Windows 11. Thus we were failing to get monitor profiles.
- On Linux and other OSes which might use Freedesktop portals, we implemented color picking on display (Colors dockable) with the Freedesktop API when available, keeping old implementations as fallbacks. Screenshot plug-in now also uses in priority the Freedesktop API rather than specific KDE or GNOME API (which are getting restricted for security reasons since KDE Plasma 5.20 and GNOME Shell 41).
- Various improvements were made to metadata support, be it on core code as well as in the metadata plug-ins (viewer and editor).
- A noteworthy fix is that the text tool won’t follow anymore the subpixel font rendering choice from system settings. Subpixel rendering is for GUI on a screen of a specific type and pixel order and is not suitable for image contents that can be zoomed in or out, shown on various screens, or even printed. This change also depends on a patch we contributed to Cairo which will be available in their next release (we include the patched version in our flatpak).
GIMP is the Free and Open Source, cross-platform picture editor accessible for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows, and more.
Size: 253 MB